Vegan Basil Pesto
When I first arrived home mum and I planted out some new herbs for summer. Little did we know that our basil would grow so abundantly. We can’t get enough of it! So this week I thought I would turn my favourite recipe into a vegan friendly option and one which is super easy and only take not more than ten mixtures to create.
- 2 cups washed and dried fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup pecan nuts (my personal favourite) you can use walnut or pine nuts as well
- 1/2 cup good tasting olive oil
- 1 clove of sliced garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place basil, salt and pepper, half a clove of garlic in a blender with the olive oil. Add the remaining garlic as you blend just for the right taste. Blend until smooth.
- Add the pecan nuts. Pulse the blender as you do not want the pesto to be smooth then nuts needs to be roughly chopped.
- Taste! It is delicious in pasta, on toast or the bottom of your pizza.
A little tip: I use to make my pesto half basil/half continual parsley. Mix up your herbs and enjoy the benefits of fresh produce.
Health benefits of Basil:
- Full of Vitamin K which helps strengthen bones
- Great for combating colds and flu
- Anti-inflammatory properties
- Elimantes infections
- Anti stress agent
❤ and gratitude